Friday, October 17, 2008

A Proud Moment

You know, being a parent is the hardest and most frustrating job I think you could ever have. And then just as much as it is hard and frustrating, it is so beautiful and the most rewarding job in the world. There's nothing like seeing and hearing and smelling your child and knowing that they came from you and they are your heart.
So, little by little, day by day, you try to help them learn and grow and become good people so that one day they can become well adjusted adults and have their own families and hopefully be good parents because of what you taught them and the way they were raised.
Anyway, my point is....today a man came over to appraise the house and Elizabeth and Sydney were just playing in their rooms (it's UEA weekend so no school) and we were just hangin' out...then Elizabeth went outside to collect pinecones and play in the front yard. I went out with Sydney and the man told me how polite my girls are! I was flattered and said that I try and instill that in the both of them. He said he could tell and that I do a good job with them. I was just like wow Thanks!
It made me feel good and very proud of the girls. Sometimes I wonder how I'm doing as a mom...I mean I know the girls are happy and well taken care of, but you know, sometimes it's like...What am I doing? Are they going to be "normal" and well adjusted? am I doing the right things? and are the girls going to remain close to one another as they grow and change and have their own interests and their own lives and families? I want them to always be able to go to eachother if they need someone to talk to and confide in...I want nothing more than for Elizabeth and Sydney to become strong women and be the best of friends, but then when a perfect stranger tells me that he can tell I'm doing a good job, even if it's just a little thing, that was a big compliment. So, we made an impressions on him and I think that's pretty cool. It was a very proud moment for me and I'm very proud of my daughters!

2 comments:

Stuart and Christine said...

Hi Melissa. Mom and I thought this was a really neat experience and your comments were great. We have our own blog now. It's stuartandchristine.blogspot.com


Dad

Rachelle said...

That was a nice compliment he gave you. its nice to get pats on backs from anyone. hope the girls are feeling better.